Monday, September 27, 2010

Mustard Greens

Groceries tend to be expensive here.  Last week during a grocery shopping trip, I noticed these BIG bags of mustard greens for very little price.  I know that they have a very high nutrition value and I like swiss chard, so I decided to try them.  DCers consider themselves in the South, so there is a lot of Southern food in the grocery store.  I took them home and followed the cooking directions on the bag.  Adding some meaty bacon and baking powder biscuits.


I tried to be open minded.  But I am afraid it tastes like chewy weeds, not disgusting, but not great either.  The bacon helps a lot. I have a whole bag to eat, so maybe I will develop a taste for Mustard Greens.


2 comments:

Leila said...

Brian says:
The "Southern" way to have them is stewed for a looong time with lots of salt pork and bacon. OK, but not really the best. I still like them cooked like spinach with vinegar or mustard.

Leila: Everything tastes better with lots of bacon grease.

Charlotte said...

It looks like chewy weeds. Can you cook with them like you do spinach? Finely chop and toss in a spaghetti sauce or something like that?