Friday, December 9, 2011

Party, Tubas, Science, and the US Army

Lots of activities this week.  Wednesday was the Holiday Party for my Division at NSF.  It was a lot of fun.  Everyone brought food.  then they played Pictionary until they could figure out to hook up the Lets Dance on the Wii.  The next two hours were spent taking turns "dancing".  Great calorie burner after all the good eating.

Einstein Fellows, Ann Drobnis, Erik Russell, and Me

After the party, my sponsor and I went to the Millennium  Stage at the Kennedy Center to hear the Tuba Christmas Chorus.  It is an annual event where people bring their tubas, rehearse for an hour, and then perform.  there were 350 tubas.  They played familiar carols and we sang along.  It was great fun.


Thursday evening I volunteered to be a judge at a local middle school science fair.  I judged 6th grade projects.  It was a little different because all of the students used a powerpoint presentation to show what they did for their science experiment.  They all did a great job and had pictures, data and graphs  It was a lot of fun and I am going to volunteer for another school's science fair judging in January.

Tonight I attended the U.S. Army Band Holiday Concert in Constitution Hall.  It was really good.  Went with a friend and we stopped for frozen yogurt on the way home.  The walk home was pleasant with a temperature of 50 degrees.


There is always something to do in Washington, DC. Wish you were here to share it with me.

3 comments:

Bryana said...

A tuba Christmas concert would be a dream come true for me! I'm not kidding!!!!! I'm jealous.

Charlotte said...

How fun. Wish we were there too.

Brenda in DC said...

The Tuba chorus was a lot of fun. The youngest tubist was 10 years old. The oldest was 86. There were also tubist from the Army, Navy, and Marine bands. Everyone had fun. Everyone sang. It felt very Christmasy.