Thursday, August 26, 2010

National Congressional Cemetery

Everyday I am discovering new things and places in my neighborhood.  Today I found the National Congressional Cemetery.  The story is that this 40 some acre cemetery had been badly neglected.  Weeds and grass were all overgrown.  Many local dog owners approached the city and asked if they could walk their dogs there if they got together and cleaned up the cemetery.  They were granted permission.  Well, after a couple of years, the city was so impressed that it took over the maintenance and the dog owners have formed an association in which members can use the cemetery as a dog park for a yearly fee.  Everyone is happy, especially the dogs.




2 comments:

Leila said...

Aleah would love the cemetery. I love grass roots success stories. Although, I don't know how I would feel about a dog peeing on my headstone. :)

Brenda in DC said...

Funny. You have a point. Most of the gravestones are before the 1850, but I guess time is probably irrelevant after you die. ;-)