Thursday, February 23, 2012

Traveling again - Monterey

February and March I will be traveling a lot.  Traveling has been one of the opportunities of my fellowship that I enjoy the most.  I have never seen as much of this country in my 58 years, as I have during the last two years.  I am always amazed at how beautiful it is everywhere I go.  The USA has so many wonderful places to visit.

Last week I was in Monterey, CA for a Principle Investigator Meeting of our Research Experience for Undergraduates group of grantees.  There were about 85 PhD types from different universities.  I had a good time.  I met most of them last year and I correspond with them through email often.

Monterey beach is very different from Cocoa Beach.  The water was rough and cold.  The beaches are rocky and dangerous.  Our hotel was right over the water.  For half a day we all went to the Aquarium which is on the ocean and the fish live in ocean water.

This is my hotel, Monterey Plaza.  It was literally right on the ocean.  The views were beautiful.


Me, standing on the hotel balcony between meetings.

The aquarium is in a building that used to be a fish cannery on Cannery Row.

The sea turtle surrounded by sardines.  They are in an enclosed part of the ocean.  The people visitors can view them through large glass windows.

The trip was not all sightseeing.  We also had two full days of meetings.  Here I am getting ready to present the NSF Highlight Contest winners.  Each project sent me a highlight of what they are doing and I arranged a committee at NSF and we chose the best five.  They each received a special cup and were recognized at the meeting and in the booklet.

Sea lions summing on the rocks.

Can you believe how blue the ocean and sky are in this picture?  The water was so blue green and clear.


2 comments:

Leila said...

I love that you wrote the sea lions were "summing" on the rocks. Only a math teacher would make that mistake.

Brenda in DC said...

I just noticed that :-). Ooops.