Friday, February 10, 2012

Florida

Last week I was in Florida for a workshop and tour at the Kennedy Space Center.  I went on Saturday which was a couple of days early so I had some time to explore Florida on my own.  I had arrange before I left DC to go on a kayak tour of the Thousand island area.  It was great.  Most of the time the water was only a couple of feet deep.  Thousand Island is make up of mangrove trees. We paddled around for about three hours while the guide told us about the wildlife and vegetation and history of the area.  There was one other family in our group.  The grandmother gave me a hat to wear and sunscreen (I had come straight from the airport and not very well prepared).  The grandfather was 80 years old.  They had come to Florida from Washington DC because he was running in a half marathon the next day.  No pictures because I didn't have my camera with me.

I stayed in a hotel that was right on the beach.  I love the ocean.  Spent so much time walking on the sand on the beach that I got blisters on the bottom of my feet.  I could walk to Ron Jon Surf Shop.  My suitcase was fuller on my return trip home :-).


Cocoa Beach is where the TV show, I Dream of Jeannie was supposed to take place.  This street sign was only one block from where I was staying.


This bird and I were the only ones on the beach during during my early morning walks.  He seemed to be as curious about me as I was about him.




No comments: