Sunday, January 15, 2012

Martin Luther King Jr Memorial

Because this is Martin Luther King Jr Holiday weekend, even though it was very cold, I decided to get out and walk down to his new Memorial.  On the way I stopped at Eastern Market and bought a knitted ear band to keep warmer and then the post office to mail one more Estimated Tax check.  Since they don't take any withholdings out of my fellowship stipend, I have to plan a lot more carefully for taxes.  The MLK Memorial is quite a distance from my house, about 24 blocks.  I walked down Independence Ave and up Constitution Ave.  This blog is a picture log of some of the sights along the way.

Jefferson Memorial viewed across the Tidal Pool

Lincoln Memorial.  Notice how blue the sky is.

"Out of the Mountain of Despair, a Stone of Hope" described on the side of the Martin Luther King Jr Memorial



 

I love to look at trees in the winter.  These are some of the cherry trees given to the US by Japan after WWII.  They grow all around the Tidal Pool and are the reason for the Cherry Blossom Festival in the sprin.

Korean War Memorial

Lincoln Memorial

Viet Nam War Memorial.  You can see my reflection as I am taking the picture.                                                                                           
             

I stopped at the Air and Space Museum on my walk back home.  This is Amelia A plane and The Spirit of St. Louis plane.  I watched a presentation called Journey to the Stars in the planetarium theater.  It gave me a chance to warm up and give my feet a rest.


 As I left the Air and Space Museum, I saw this tree that apparently is very confused by the weather we have been having here in DC.  Everything is brown and dormant, except this tree which is covered with blooms. Hope you enjoyed sharing my walk in DC with me today.  Wish you could have been here with me and seen it for yourself.  I would have loved the company.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried on the fair below and changed to anonymous but my first comment got trashed. Bob C.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I wished I could be there too. A very long walk. I could do that at one time, not any more. Good pictures. Mom

Charlotte said...

I would love a 16x20 print of that last photo. It's beautiful.

Thanks for taking us on your walk!

Bonnie said...

I also love that last photo!

BrianG said...

Poor confused tree.