Thursday, March 17, 2011

NSTA Conference in San Francisco



Last week I was in San Francisco for the National Science Teacher Association (NSTA) conference.  I have never been to the science teachers conference before.  It was so fun. Science I am a math teacher and not a science teacher, many of the sessions were not something that I could use.  Instead, I signed up for the field trip options.  On Thursday, I toured schools in SF that have school yard gardens.




I am becoming more and more convinced of the value of school and community gardens.

Saturday I boarded the Robert G Brownlee, an educational and research vessel on the San Francisco Bay.  We threw out a net and collected samples of the fish, shrimp, and jelly fish.  They talked to us about what we found and the health of the Bay waters.  We also collected a water sample and looked at the plankton and other small animal life with a microscope.  Lastly, we collected a mud sample and using screens and water to see what kind of things we could find.  The scientists talked to us about the history of the Bay and how it has affected the plant and wildlife.




No comments: