Monday, July 4, 2011

4th of July

I have been anxiously awaiting the 4th of July in Washington DC.  I packed a water bottle, a couple of peanut butter sandwiches, my camera, and a book and headed down Independence Avenue toward the Capitol building about 9 am this morning.  First I stumbled upon a parade in my neighborhood.




Then I continued walking to the "real" parade on Independence Avenue.  Here are some highlights.






I stayed on the National Mall all day so that I could hear the National Symphony and watch the fireworks.  About 6 pm I found a place on the Capitol steps and ate my peanut butter sandwich and read my book while I waited for the evening performance.  There were a lot of people there and I could not get very close and the granite steps got very hard, but I am glad I waited.  It was lots of fun to see, hear, smell, and feel the people, food, music, and fireworks!







3 comments:

Leila said...

Awesome! It would be so fun to be in DC on the 4th.

Bonnie said...

Watched the Capitol Fourth Celebration on tv last night and thought of you. How fun to be there in person!

Bryana said...

How cool. We headed up to Estes and were amazed at the fireworks there. HUGE!