Saturday, June 4, 2011

Statue of Liberty

While in New York, I also had time to take the ferry to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.  The cruise boat was only $15.  There is no charge for the Statue of Liberty or Ellis Island.  The weather was cool and overcast, but it did not rain.


The skyline view of Manhattan is pretty cool.  Just like I expected.  I think if you look carefully, you can see the top of the Empire State Building.


The Statue is very big.  I only had a ticket to get to the top of the pedestal.  To go inside the Statue itself was booked for the rest of the month.  


Ellis Island is beautiful.  I did not have time to really explore it like I would have liked.  Inside are places where you can search to see if your relatives were processed through Ellis Island.  I did not have time to look.



This was such a short trip and I tried to see as much as I could, but there is so much.  I need to come back again.  I was very impressed with NY.  It was clean, busy, and noisy.  The subway system made it easy to get around and was not very expensive.  I bought a weeks pass for $29 and could ride the subway and bus as much as I wanted.  There was so much to see and do and eat and hear.  Central Park is gigantic and beautiful.  Things were much closer together than I had thought.  People were not rude to me.  It was not like what I had seen on TV.


1 comment:

Charlotte said...

When I was there in 2008, they still had the Statue of Liberty closed- ever since 9/11. I'm glad to hear it is open to the public again.

At ground zero I kept thinking about how close all the other buildings around are, and how they must have shook when the towers came down.